TSV(R) Preview
128 Members and 16098 Guests Online

Kitchen & Food

Apples ENVY

Started 1393471099.997 in Kitchen & Food Talk | Last reply 1393625543.687 by sfnative
replies

Just checking to see if anyone has tasted the ENVY Apple. I found them at our local Safeway. I was just wondering if anyone has come across them. I am on the hunt for more. Best apple I have ever tasted. Hope they are not a one time item.

Page 1 of 1
gazelle771393471267.03710026 PostsRegistered 3/1/2013
Aren't they a hybrid between two kinds of apples?

~~Always remember--
You're braver than you believe
And stronger than you seem
And smarter than you think~
~Pooh

tkins1393614872.397277 PostsRegistered 3/26/2012

They are really good (got some at Safeway too), but my favorite is still Winesap (when I was kid, our next door neighbor had a huge tree and always shared with us) just can't find them. My husband likes a sweet crisp apple and I like tart crisp apples, so whenever we see a new kind of apple, we always get two, that way we each get to try it and if we don't like it, we only had two. Anyway, here is some information on Envy apples for you.

Seasons/Availability Envy apples are available for a short time during the summer from New Zealand and for a short time in the late fall from Washington State growers. Current Facts The large Envy™ apple is a cross between the Braeburn and Royal Gala apples. It has the same parentage as the Jazz apple, from the same producer. Description/Taste Envy apples have a striated ruby red skin with green undertones. It has a crisp, sweet white flesh that will stay pure white for up to 10 hours before succumbing to oxidation. Envy apples have what are known as lenticels, or small pores, which allow gases to pass between the skin and the flesh of a fruit. The lenticels appear as specks on the Envy apple; the more specks, the sweeter the apple. Applications The sweet taste and crunch of an Envy apple make it perfect for fresh out-of-hand eating. Their flavor also lends well to cakes and pies. Dice Envy apples and mix with goat cheese to stuff chicken or pork. Add bite-sized pieces of Envy apples to chicken salads or a classic Waldorf. Because this New Zealand hybrid doesn’t brown as quickly as other apple varieties, it makes a great sliced snack. Geography/History New Zealand’s Envy apples are grown in Hawke’s Bay on the North Island and in Nelson on the northern coast of the South Island. Under the working name, Scilate on the rootstock of MM106, the development of this apple took place over a span of twenty-five years. The first cross of this apple was made in 1985. The apple is exclusively grown by farmers in New Zealand, Washington State in the US and Chile.

T

sfnative1393625543.6875757 PostsRegistered 4/23/2007Portland, OR

I've not seen them here on the Pacific Northwest. (I discovered Ambrosia apples when we recently moved here and love them.)

San Francisco Giants
2014 World Series Champs!

Page 1 of 1